GREEN BROOK, NJ — (10-23-22) — Adult Toy Store Naughty But Nice is in a battle with the Green Brook Township, as they have rejected the Naughty But Nice application to open a store on Route 22, an area not zoned for adult entertainment.

In the Naughty But Nice application to the board, owner Arnd Bollhardt said that the Green Brook store would sell dresses, pantyhose, lingerie, shoes, jewelry, wigs, orthopedic pillows, lotions, creams, leather products and masks. No DVDs, books or magazines would be sold.

Even with the removal of masks, whips and binding restraints from the store’s shelves, the township Land Use Board ruled that Naughty But Nice may not open a Route 22 store because it sells sexually oriented material.

Bollhardt, a Scotch Plains resident, told the board that 75% of the merchandise is lingerie and the remaining 25% is “toys,” but he would be willing to eliminate those items because he likes the location. He even told the board that his employees and customers are mostly women, and the merchandise “is not what you see on 42nd street.” He also said that the lingerie for sale would be like Victoria’s Secret, “but nicer.”

Though that should have been enough to convince the township Land Use Board, several residents objected to the store being allowed to open on Route 22, so the board decided unanimously that the items for sale would be sexually oriented, which is not permitted in the township’s zoning ordinance.

Board Vice Chairman Kevin O’Connor said the items in the Naughty But Nice “are beyond what is sold in Victoria’s Secret and department stores,” according to the minutes.

Green Brook has a long history dating back decades of fighting adult entertainment businesses operating on Route 22.  The Naughty But Nice owner also told the board that the Route 22 location would not be added to the adult store chain’s official website.

Bollhardt’s attorney, Mark Dugan, told the board that his client would accept a township limitation that would prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from coming unaccompanied into the store and he would check identifications.

Dugan further stated that Bollhardt was trying to avoid applying for a use variance and that he might be forced to abandon the site or file a lawsuit in Superior Court against the Land Use Board.

Now If the store opened and sexually oriented merchandise were for sale, Bollhardt could be issued a zoning violation and face fines up to $1,000 per day.

We will continue to follow this story and bring you developments as they become available.

Article by: Andy Powell, Staff Writer

Sign Up Below for #JRLCHARTS Breaking News and Follow @JRLCHARTS Daily on Twitter

Related News