‘Tel Aviv Pride’ turned out a record number in attendance for its 20th Anniversary celebrating the LGBTQ community throughout the state of Israel. This marked the largest celebration in the event’s history drawing more than 250,000 attendees.
Participants and attendees at ‘Tel Aviv Pride’ were also celebrating two additional milestones for the LGBTQ community in Isarel as it celebrated the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Gay Center in Tel Aviv.
The Tel Aviv Municipal LGBT Center (Hebrew: המרכז העירוני לקהילה הגאה, HaMerkaz HaIroni LaKehila HaGe’a) is a municipal establishment, housing the various community services provided by the City of Tel Aviv to the local lesbian, gay, bi and trans community. The center is located in a restored Bauhaus building in Meir Park at the city center.
The center is a municipal agency, funded by the Tel Aviv-Yafo Municipality, which spent NIS 4 million on the building’s refurbishment and conversion. It opened its doors in 2008, following a 2004 survey mapping the needs of the LGBT community. Activities fall under six main categories:
* Cultural programs including theater, dance, concerts, Social events
* Community organizations for LGBT youth, parents of LGBT persons, religious groups, transsexuals, seniors, people with HIV, etc.
* Support services: legal, medical, psychological aid, hotline, childcare, etc.
* Learning: lectures and workshops
* Leisure: enrichment activities. The cafe serves as a safe meeting place
Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai (pictured above), told the record setting crowd in attendance…“I am proud to stand here before you.I remember how it was 20 years ago when we started this parade, and I am thrilled to see the wide audience here in the street, the atmosphere and the freedom that is felt here. We have marched for 20 years and we have made a lot of progress, but we still have a way to go … we will walk together and we will break down the barriers of hate, of separation [and] of legislation, and we will reach a situation where – in the free and sovereign State of Israel – every human being will be equal.” said Mayor Huldai.
Article by: Paul Goldberg, Staff Writer
Latest posts by JRL Charts (see all)
- Doctors & Daddies: Ian Levine, Myles Landon Is A Triumph - June 15, 2018
- U.S. Congress Bill ‘H.R. 4655’ Bans Children Sex Dolls - June 15, 2018
- Hott Products, WTU Launch E-Learning Pride Module - June 14, 2018